Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fish Tacos and Spanish Rice

Fish Batter:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
dash of cayene pepper
1-2 Tbs. chili powder (depends on how you like it, I used 1 Tbs)
1/2-1 tsp. cumin (I used 1/2 tsp)

Mix all together. Thinner batter is better. If it is too thick, add a little more milk.
Cut your fish into small pieces, like nuggets or fish sticks (I used Pollack for my fish, but any white fish is okay to use). Drop the fish into the batter one at a time. Place in a pan with hot oil. If the fish cooks too fast or too slow adjust heat accordingly. My oil was not super deep, so I had to flip my fish to cook both sides. You can cook about 3 at a time. Do not cook to many at once, if you do it will cool the oil down and the fish won't cook properly. Place cook fish on a paper towl to absorb excess oil.

To Serve: Place 1-2 fish pieces on a small corn or flour tortilla (warm them up first). Add chopped cabbage, cilantro, tartar sauce (I like it thinned with some milk), salsa/tapatio, fresh lime juice, tomatoes. Fold tortilla over and enjoy!

Spanish Rice: This recipe is not exact with measurements, but it is so good: sautee about 1/2 cup onion and 1/2 a green pepper. Add 1 cup Rice, 2 cups Chicken broth, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp, chili powder. Mix well. Add canned and drained tomatoes (add how much you want, I think I added about 1/2 cup). Bring to a boil, cover, and reduse to low heat. Cook for 20 minutes. After it is done add fresh cilantro on top. Super yummy!

Ryan's Review: HOLD ME BACK PEOPLE!! This was the best meal ever! The tacos were so good, I don't love rice, but this was pretty good. The tacos were the best!

Renee's thoughts: This is one of those meals that I will be making regularly. This was my first time making them, but it won't be the last.

No comments: